Who should be on your list?
Your list includes current clients, potential clients, volunteers and potential volunteers, donors and potential donors, sponsors and potential sponsors, alliance partners, other organizations working with similar missions or for the same type of clients and your own employees, board members, people who attend your classes and seminars, etc.
Segmenting your list
Look at the list above and review the current status of your organization. Do you currently collect the contact information from each of these types of contacts? What form is the list in now? Are you able to use it effectively to target communications to either all or specific interest groups? For example, are you able to contact just people who are volunteers?
Building your list
Building your list should be a regular ongoing activity. It involves both online and offline activities.
- Add a “Signup for newsletter” on the website.
- Add a useful article or report and then a “Download Article” and ask for an email address and send the link to the article to that address
- Add a link on your email signature file “Sign up for newsletter”
- Add various “Calls to Action” on your website – and ask people if you can add them to your newsletter list. e.g. “Become involved”, Donate, “How can I help”, “Ask a Question”
- Add a “Signup for email newsletter” on your Facebook Page
- Hold an online webinar and get contact information for registraton
- Have a signup sheet at your seminars, classes and events
- Ask your clients, affiliates, partner organizations, board members, volunteers, for their email address
- Hold a raffle or contest and include the email address to inform the winner – ask for permission to put them on your list
- Have sign up sheets or business card bowls at conferences, and alliance partner locations
For more details on how to build your list and please send me a request for a special report from Constant Contact. Aleph Consulting is a business affiliate of Constant Contact and offers services on list building, list management, email newsletter design and maintenance, and a full range of internet consulting services for nonprofits. Constant Contact provides the tools to implement all of the suggestions to build your list.
See more details: